Match Recap | Chicago Fire 2-0 NYCFC 


Chicago Fire FC Goals: Beric 48’, Navarro 66’

New York City FC Goals:

Quick Read

New York City FC were on their travels on Wednesday night against Chicago Fire looking for a win. A quiet first half saw both sides struggle to create meaningful chances. The deadlock was broken early in the second half by Robert Beric before Federico Navarro added a second in the 66th minute. That helped Chicago secure a 2-0 success at home as NYCFC suffered a disappointing defeat.

Match Recap

New York City FC were looking for success on the road Wednesday night as they took on Chicago Fire at SeatGeek Stadium.

A pair of suspensions to Taty Castellanos and James Sands allowed head Coach Ronny Deila to introduce Jesús Medina and Nicolás Acevedo to the starting XI.

Both sides struggled to establish a rhythm during the early stages of the game, with NYCFC trying to build through the lines.

NYCFC’s first look at goal came in the 18th minute when Talles Magno, who was handed a start as forward, managed to get a header on target from a corner.

They almost found the opener in the 23rd minute when some nice build-up down the right allowed Anton Tinnerholm to pull it back to Maxi Moralez – his effort clipping the crossbar.

Chicago were proving an intermittent threat, and they almost went ahead just before the end of the half, only for Robert Berić’s curled strike to hit the bar.

The second half started with both sides seeking a breakthrough, and it would be the Fire that found it after a quick freekick put Beric in behind to convert past Johnson.

In the 59th minute, Ronny Deila turned to his bench and introduced Thiago Andrade and Santiago Rodríguez for Talles and Acevedo. The changes brought about a fresh injection of pace and saw NYCFC get closer to the visitors goal with the ball.

Unfortunately, it would be the hosts that scored the game’s next goal after a deflected effort from Federico Navarro in the 66th minute squirmed under Johnson.

NYCFC thought they had an almost instant reply when Rodríguez nodded the ball in from close range, but he was denied by VAR calling the play back for offside.

The 76th minute saw Malte Amundsen and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi enter the game in place of Gudi Thórarinsson and Jesús Medina. The Boys in Blue continued to push for a route back into the game but found it hard to fashion chances.

Deila turned to his bench again in the 85th minute to hand Héber more minutes as he steps up his recovery from injury and looks to build more match sharpness.

Unfortunately, the game would finish 2-0 and condemn NYCFC to a loss on the road.

Heineken Man of the Match


How We Lined Up


What's Next

Next up for New York City is a meeting with Nashville SC on Sunday, October 3, 2021, at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff is scheduled for 12:00PM EST (YES Network/

For the City - Stories

Join us on our mission to empower NYC youth through soccer.