match recap

Match Recap | NE Revs II 1-0 NYCFC II 


New England Revolution II: Fry 57’

New York City Football Club II:

Quick Read

New York City FC II suffered an unfortunate defeat on the road Wednesday night against New England Revolution II. The Boys in Blue started the game brightly and had several chances in the opening fifteen minutes of proceedings. The Revs took a second-half lead through Malcolm Fry after he pounced on a rebound. In the end that would prove enough to take all three points on the night.

Match Recap

NYCFC II entered the game in fine form – winning their last four - and with the pride of a Hudson River Derby success behind them.

Keen to maintain that momentum, they wasted no time getting on the attack at Gillette Stadium with a spate of early half-chances.

In the sixth minute, M.D. Myers laid the ball off to Jack Beer at the top of the box and his ferocious drive forced the Revs II goalkeeper down low to his right.

As the fifteen-minute mark approached New England began to settle. They were keen to unsettle NYCFC by pressing out from the back, but it did not deter the visitors.

Myers was proving a threat in the penalty box, and after some strong hold-up play he attempted to turn and shoot, but his effort was blocked.

Both teams were keen to dominate the ball, and as that battle continued neither team was able to carve out clear-cut chances.

That changed in the 40th minute when a direct pass from New England provided Jordan Adebayo-Smith with a chance to score from close range.

Standing in his way was Alexander Yagudayev, who did brilliantly to deny him with a kick save and keep the scores level.

At the other end, Piero Elias was found in space on the left-hand side of the box, but his precise side-footed effort was well-saved.

IMG_4435 2

The second half began with both teams attacking vigorously. The constant battle for supremacy produced a fast-paced encounter.

In the 57th minute, the deadlock was finally broken after an Adebayo-Smith effort was palmed into the path of Malcolm Fry to convert from close range.

Head Coach Matthew Pilkington responded to the goal by introducing his first substitution of the game - replacing midfielder Maximo Carrizo with Ronald Arévalo.

That change ignited NYCFC as they began dictating the game in their pursuit of a tying goal - coming close on several occasions.

Despite that pressure, it would be New England that were given the chance to double their lead from the penalty spot after Gianluca Armellino was adjudged to have been brought down by Yagudayev.

There was a reprieve for the shot-stopper, however, with the subsequent spot-kick fired over the crossbar. That was then followed by a weather delay in the 85th minute. 

Unfortunately, the return to play did not bring a goal for NYCFC and saw New England run out 1-0 winners on the night.

How We Lined Up

MicrosoftTeams-image (107)

What's Next

New York City Football Club II are back in action on Sunday, June 18 as they take on Columbus Crew 2. The Boys in Blue host the Crew at Belson Stadium in a 7:00pm ET kick-off.

Watch live on AppleTV and follow our official @NYCFCII Twitter page for updates.

Sign-up for MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app - and never miss a moment of the 2023 season. Stream every regular-season, playoff, and Leagues Cup match. Every Screen. No Blackouts.

For the City - Stories

Join us on our mission to empower NYC youth through soccer.