Match Recap | New York City FC II 4-2 Red Bulls II 


New York City FC Goals II: Jiménez 22’, 38, 87' (P), Jones 47’

Red Bulls II Goals: Sofo 6’, Ngoma 47’

Quick Read

New York City FC II hosted Red Bulls in the second round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday night. The visitors took the lead after six minutes through Mohammed Sofo. City tied the game in the 22nd minute through Jonathan Jiménez. City stormed back from the early goal to take the lead as Jiménez notched his second in the 38th minute before Malachi Jones made it 3-1 on the stroke of half time. Serge Ngoma made it 3-2 in the 47thminute before Jiménez secured his hat-trick from the penalty spot in 87th minute. That was enough to confirm a 4-2 win for City and a place in the next round of the competition.

Match Recap

A wet night in Queens was the setting for New York City FC II as they took on Red Bulls in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. City had overcome FC Motown in the previous round to set up a meeting with Red Bulls at Belson stadium on Tuesday.

Head Coach Matthew Pilkington was able to call upon several First Team players for the clash – with Malachi Jones, Agustín Ojeda, and Rio Hope-Gund all part of the starting XI.

The elements were proving a challenge for both sides and unsurprisingly they played a role in the opening goal of the game for Mohammed Sofo. The forward fired off a low shot inside the box in the sixth minute which picked up pace on the wet field to catch out Tomás Romero.

City set about securing an equalizer and Taylor Calheira registered their first chance of the evening after a brilliant run and shot forced a good save from Dallas Odle in the Red Bulls goal.

Jonathan Jiménez would tie the game in the 22nd minute on what was a memorable night for the forward. His brilliant run saw him evade his defender before displaying admirable composure to round the goalkeeper and slot the ball home.

City were growing into the game as the first half progressed and they took the lead in the 39th minute as Jiménez notched his second of the evening.

Played in down the right hand side of the penalty area the forward kept his cool once again and produced an identical finish to his first goal - rounding the goalkeeper and finishing in style.

Two became three for City on the stroke of halftime after Malachi Jones capitalized on a loose ball inside the penalty area to dink a shot over the onrushing goalkeeper from a tight angle.

The second half brought no changes for either side but there was an early goal for Red Bulls - Serge Ngoma beating the offside trap before firing a low shot past Romero in the 47th minute.

Red Bulls were afforded the chance to restore parity from 12 yards out after they were awarded a penalty just after the hour mark. Julian Hall stepped up to take it, but Romero produced a brilliant diving save to preserve City’s lead.

City were now defending with every ounce of effort and a brilliant goal line clearance from Alex Hauschild denied Red Bulls an equalizer in the 78th minute.

Pilkington turned to his bench for the first time in the 80th minute to replace Piero Elias with Stevo Bednarsky. He would be joined on the field Matthew Leong after he replaced Christian McFarlane.

City would earn a penalty in the 87th minute after Caheira's shot was stopped by the arm of Juan Esteban Gutierrez Ruiz. Keen to secure his hat-trick, Jiménez stepped up to take the spot kick and produced an assured finish to claim the match ball.

That was the final notable act of the contest and confirmed a 4-2 win for City on the night - putting them in the hat for the next round of the competition.

How We Lined Up


What's Next 

Next up for New York City FC II is another meeting with Red Bulls in MLS Next Pro on Wednesday, April 10. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30PM ET.

For the City - Stories

Join us on our mission to empower NYC youth through soccer.