Match Recap | NYCFC 3-0 Toronto FC 


New York City Football Club Goals: Perea 2', Jasson 45+4', Fernández 54'

Toronto FC Goals:

Quick Read

NYCFC secured a big victory against Toronto FC on a wet and windy Sunday afternoon. A lightning start from the Boys in Blue saw Andreas Perea head NYCFC in front inside ninety seconds. NYCFC would double that lead on the stroke of halftime through Andres Jasson. The second half saw Julián Fernández enter the game and record his first NYCFC & MLS goal in the 54th minute. That would be enough for the Boys in Blue to claim all three points and move into the playoff positions.

Match Recap 

A wet and windy Sunday was the setting for NYCFC against Toronto FC.

The Boys in Blue entered the contest on a four-game unbeaten run thanks to a midweek victory against Orlando City at Citi Field. Meanwhile, TFC were keen to bounce back from a 4-0 defeat to Inter Miami CF.

Nick Cushing made one change to the team that ran out 2-0 winners midweek as goalscorer Talles Magno replaced the suspended Richy Ledezma.

The hosts wasted no time in showing their attacking intent and that saw them take the lead inside the first 90 seconds. A cross from Santiago Rodríguez found Andreas Perea unmarked and he headed it in for his first NYCFC goal.

NYCFC were keen for one to become two as quickly as possible and Mounsef Bakrar registered his first effort of the afternoon in the seventh minute. The striker was keen to score his fourth MLS goal of the season, but this time his effort was saved.

Cushing's side were now firmly in control of the contest and they were keen to build on that early momentum. TFC were defending doggedly in order to resist that pressure.

Although NYCFC were in control they were unable to convert that into clear-cut chances. That change on the stroke of the half-hour when a low Talles Magno cross was fired toward goal by Bakrar.

The forward was adamant his effort hit a hand on the way through and after consultation with VAR the spot kick was awarded. Bakrar stepped up to take the kick, but his effort was unfortunately saved.

Talles Magno continued to find dangerous pockets of space in the final third, and in the 37th minute a cross from Tayvon Gray was met in the air by the Brazilian, but he could not make clean contact with his header.

At the other end, some strong play down the right by Federico Bernadeschi eventually allowed the ball to make its way to Jonathan Osorio at the top of the box. Although his effort had power it was straight at Matt Freese in goal.

NYCFC continued to push for a second goal and in the final seconds of the first half they got it. Arriving after neat play between Talles Magno, Kevin O'Toole and Rodríguez down the left, it was the Uruguayan's pass inside that skipped loose and into the path of Andres Jasson.

The young forward brought it under control before turning quickly and firing it low into the bottom right corner.

The second period brought a chance for NYCFC as Bakrar was replaced by Julián Fernández.

The substitute made an almost instant impact after some neat build-up play down the left with Talles Magno. The Brazilian's through ball put Fernández in behind and after driving toward goal he cut inside and curled a delightful effort into the bottom left corner for his first NYCFC goal.

NYCFC were in the mood for more, and Talles Magno would be the next man given the chance to extend the lead. Rodríguez was central to the team's creative efforts and his pullback allowed the Brazilian to sidefoot an effort from distance that forced the goalkeeper to palm it away.

In the wake of his first goal, Fernández was brimming with confidence and after isolating his defender in the left channel he drove inside before unleashing a ferocious drive that only narrowly missed the target.

TFC were eager to find a route back into the match and Themi Antonoglou tested Freeze with an effort that he tipped over the bar for a corner.

In the 74th minute, Cushing turned to his bench to introduce Matías Pellegrini in place of the tireless Rodríguez.

Another player who had enjoyed a fine afternoon was Jasson. The young forward was keen to add to his tally against TFC and he again tested Luka Gavran in the Reds goal in the 76th minute. He would try again in the 81st minute but to no avail.

That would be Jasson's final act of the afternoon as he was withdrawn alongside fellow goalscorer Perea in the 85th minute. Entering in their place was Justin Haak and Alonso Martinez.

The Costa Rican wasted no time in involving himself in the contest. After collecting the ball on the left wing he tried to curl an effort in with his right foot, but it took a deflection and went behind for a corner.

Talles Magno would have one last attempt to find the net before the full-time whistle. That would be the last major chance of the game and confirmed an important 3-0 victory for NYCFC against TFC.

How We Lined Up

MicrosoftTeams-image (228)

Star of the Match

MicrosoftTeams-image (229)

What's Next

Next up for New York City Football Club is a meeting with Inter Miami on Saturday, September 30, 2023. Kickoff at DRV PNK stadium is scheduled for 7:30 pm ET.

Sign-up for MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app - and never miss a moment of the 2023 season. Stream every regular-season, playoff, and Leagues Cup match. Every Screen. No Blackouts.

For the City - Stories

Join us on our mission to empower NYC youth through soccer.