Match Recap | New York City FC II 1-1 Chattanooga FC (New York City FC II Win 4-2 On Penalties) 


New York City FC II Goals: Shore 55’

Chattanooga FC II Goals: Gray 8’

Quick Read

New York City FC II recorded a 1-1 draw against Chattanooga FC on Wednesday night. The visitors took an 8th-minute lead through Taylor Gray. Johnathan Shore leveled things up in the 55th minute with a well-taken finish. City continued to push for a winner and despite registering a number of chances they were unable to find a go-ahead goal. Following a penalty shootout, City claimed the bonus point via a 4-2 win.

Match Recap

Chattanooga FC were the visitors on Wednesday night as New York City FC played out their MLS Next Pro Home Opener.

The Boys in Blue were eager to secure a first league win of the season following an opening day defeat to Inter Miami CF II, while their opponents entered the game in high spirits after a convincing 3-0 win against FC Cincinnati 2.

Head Coach Matthew Pilkington named an unchanged side from the one that overcame FC Town in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

Despite starting the stronger of the two sides, City would fall behind in the 8th minute after Chattanooga forward Taylor Gray was found in behind and converted at the second attempt.

City wasted no time in mounting a fightback but clear-cut chances were proving elusive. As the half drew to a close Jacob Arroyave drove down the right before winning a corner.

A dangerous delivery followed but unfortunately, it was met by a Chattanooga head and eventually cleared away from danger.

The second half brought no changes for Pilkington’s side as they once again began the better of the two teams.

City’s pressure and persistence paid off in the 55th minute. A driving run and low cross by Drew Baiera found Johnathan Shore inside the area.

The midfielder saw his first shot blocked but quickly pounced on the loose ball to fire it past the Chattanooga goalkeeper.

City were starting to turn the screw and Johnathan Jiménez was the next man to come close after cutting inside from the left and firing a low shot toward the near post – the forward denied by a good save.

Máximo Carrizo was a growing influence in the game and he recorded two chances back-to-back in the space of several minutes. The first saw a dazzling run and shot test the keeper before a rasping drive whistled past the post.

Taylor Calheira would test the goalkeeper in the 73rd minute with a low drive that was parried away from danger.

In the 82nd minute, Klevis Haxhari had a great opportunity to put City ahead after being found free at the back post from a set piece. Unfortunately, his half-volley went wide of the target.

As injury time approached Ronald Arévalo replaced Jiménez. With neither side able to find a winning goal the game was sent to penalties in order to allocate the additional point - City emerging 4-2 winners.

How We Lined Up


What's Next

Next up for New York City FC II is a meeting with Red Bulls in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday, April 2. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:30PM ET.

Sign-up for MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app - and never miss a moment of the 2024 season. Stream every regular-season, playoff, and Leagues Cup match. Every Screen. No Blackouts.

For the City - Stories

Join us on our mission to empower NYC youth through soccer.